99. Narration(100)(HS2ndYr/TDC1st/AEC101)

Change the Narration.
Direct to indirect speech.
Indirect to direct speech.

1. Mother told me that I should listen to her first and then do anything as I pleased.

Ans:- Mother said to me, "You should listen to me first and then do anything as you please."

2. He said, "They will be using my car for the trip."

Ans:- He said that they would be using his car for the trip.

3. The traveller said to me, "Do you know the way to the Asiad village?"

Ans:- The traveller asked me if I knew the way to the Asiad Village.

4. The spectators applauded the young athelete saying that he had broken all previous records.

Ans:- The spectators said to the young athelete, "Bravo! You have broken all records."

5. She said to Anita, "I cannot tell you now but I shall surely do so next week."

Ans:- She told Anita that she could not tell her then but she would surely do so the following week.

6. He said, "The Prophet faced many awkward situations when he was living in Macca."

Ans:- He said that the Prophet had faced many awkward situations when he was living in Macca.

7. Mr. Rao told Mr. Mehtab that he had to go to the town that day.

Ans:- Mr. Rao said, "Mr. Mehtab I will have to go to the town today."

8. They told us that they had waited at the station for a long time.

Ans:- They told us, "We waited at the station for a long time."

9. He told Pawan that they should have tried harder.

Ans:- He said to Pawan, "We should have tried harder."

10. The boss said to him, "Please tell me what the old man said today."

Ans:- The boss requested him to tell him what the old man had said that day.

11. He said to her, "Are you coming to the party?"

Ans:- He asked her whether she was coming to the party.

12. He said, "I clean my teeth twice a day."

Ans:- He said that he cleans his teeth twice a day.

13. The teacher said, "Be quiet, boys."

Ans:- The teacher urged the boys to be quiet.

14. My friend said to me, "Has your father returned from Haj?"

Ans:- My friend asked me  if my father had returned from Haj.

15. He said, "I saw a book there."

Ans:- He said that he had seen a book there.

16. She said to him, "Why don't you go today?"

Ans:- She asked him why he did not go that day.

17. He said, "The mice will play, when the cat is away."

Ans:- He said that the mice would play when the cat was away.

18. He said to her, "May you succeed!"

Ans:- He wished her success.
                      Or
         He told her that she might succeed.

19. The manager said, "Well, what can I do for you?"

Ans:- The manager wanted to know what he could do for him.

20. "If you don't keep quiet I shall fire you," he said to her in a calm voice.

Ans:- He warned her calmly that he would fire her if she didn't keep quiet.

21. He said to me, "May God bless you."

Ans:- He wished me that God might bless me.

22. She said to us, "Good Morning, my friends."

Ans:- She wished her friends good morning.

23. My friend proposed me that we should go for dinner.

Ans:- My friend said to me, "Let us go for dinner."

24. I proposed my wife that we should enjoy the evening in the park.

Ans:- I said to my wife, "Let us enjoy the evening in the park."

25. Mother advised me to always speak the truth.

Ans:- Mother said to me, "Always speak the truth."

26. The girl said, "What a fat monkey it was!"

Ans:- The girl exclaimed with surprise that it was a fat monkey.

27. She said to me, "Shut the door at once."

Ans:- She asked/ordered me to shut the door at once.

28. He asked me if I could help him.

Ans:- He said to me, "Can you help me?"

29. He said, "Goodbye, my friends."

Ans:- He bade his friends goodbye.

30. Omar bade his friends goodbye.

Ans:- Omar said, "Goodbye, my friends."

31. Rahim said, "I am busy now."

Ans:- Rahim said that he was busy then.

32. He said that he was unwell.

Ans:- He said, "I am unwell."

33. She said, "My mother is writing letters."

Ans:- She said that her mother was writing letters.

34. He said that he had passed the examination.

Ans:- He said, "I have passed the examination."

35. He said, "The horse died in the night."

Ans:- He said that the horse had died in the night.

36. He said to me, "I don't believe you."

Ans:- He told me that he didn't believe me.

37. She said she didn't believe him.

Ans:- She said to him, "I don't believe you."

38. I said to him, "I don't believe you."

Ans:- I told him that I didnt believe him.

39. I said I didn't believe you.

Ans:- I said to you, "I don't believe you."

40. He says, "I am glad to be here this evening." (Rule:- The changes do not occur if the speech is reported during the same period or at the place)

Ans:- He says that he is glad to be here this evening.

41. He asked me what I was doing.

Ans:- He said to me, "What are you doing?"

42. "Where do you live?"asked the stranger.

Ans:- The stranger enquired where I lived.

43. The policeman enquired where we were going.

Ans:- The policeman said to us, "Where are you going?"

44. He said, "Will you listen to such a man?"

Ans:- He asked them whether/if they would listen to such a man.

45. His angry mother jeered and asked whether he supposed that he knew better than his own father.

Ans:- "Do you suppose you know better than your own father?"jeered his angry mother.
                              Or
His angry mother jeered, "Do you suppose you know better than your own father?"

46. Razia said to Mariam,  "Go away."

Ans:- Razia ordered Mariam to go away.

47. He requested him to wait there till he returned.

Ans:- He said to him, "Please wait here till I return."

48. "Call the first witnes," said the judge.

Ans:- The judge commanded/ordered them to call the first witness.

49. He shouted to them to let him go.

Ans:- He shouted, "Let me go."

50. He said, "Be quiet and listen to my words."

Ans:- He urged them to be quiet and listen to his words.

51. Razia says, "Mariam will come."

Ans:- Razia says that Mariam will come

52. He said that he was ill.

Ans:- He said, "I am ill."

53. Mariam said, "I have done it."

Ans:- Mariam said that she had done it.

54. Razia says, "I want the book."

Ans:- Razia says that she wants the book.

55. Razia says that she will go.

Ans:- Razia says, "I shall go."

56. He has said, "I went."

Ans:- He has said that he had gone.

57. You will say that you are ill.

Ans:- You will say, "I am ill."

58. He said, "I am ill."

Ans:- He said that he was ill.

59. He said that he did it.

Ans:- He said, "I did it."

60. He said, "I am doing it."

Ans:- He said that he was doing it.

61. He said, "Alas! I am undone."

Ans:- He exclaimed sadly that he was undone.

62. Amina said, "How clever I am!"

Ans:- Amina exclaimed that she was very clever.

63. He said, "Bravo! You have done well."

Ans:- He applauded him saying that he had done well.

64. "So help me Almighty!"he cried, "I will never steal again."

Ans:- He called upon Almighty to witness his resolve never to steal again.

65. He enquired whether his name was not Ahmed.

Ans:- He said to him, "Is not your name Ahmed?"

66. As the stranger entered the town he was met by a policeman, who asked him if he was a traveller. He replied carelessly that it would appear so.

Ans:- As the stranger entered the town he was met by a policeman, who asked, "Are you a traveller?" "So it would appear," he answered/replied carelessly.

67. She asked how she, a girl, who could not ride or use sword or lance, could be of any help. Rather would she stay at home and spin beside her dear mother.

Ans :- She said, "How can I, a girl, who cannot ride or use sword or lance, be of any help? Rather would I stay at home and spin beside my dear mother?"

68. He said to me, "I have often told you not to play with fire."

Ans:- He told me that he had often told me not to play with fire.

69. "You have all done very badly!"remarked the teacher.

Ans:- The teacher remarked that they had all done very badly.

70. They wrote, "It is time we thought about settling the matter."

Ans:- They wrote that it was time they thought about settling the matter.

71. Seema said, "I go to school."

Ans:- Seema said that she went to school.

72. The girl said, "I read in the morning."

Ans:- The girl said that she read in the morning.

73. They said, "We play cricket."

Ans:- They said that they played cricket.

74. The boy said, "The teacher teaches me."

Ans:- The boy said that the teacher taught him.

75. The teacher said, "The Earth is elliptical in shape."

Ans:- The teacher said that the Earth is elliptical in shape.

76. My father said, "Love and respect your elders."

Ans:- My father said that love and respect your elders.

77. The teacher said, "India got independence in 1947."

Ans:- The teacher said that India got independence in 1947.

78. My friend said, "He wants me to come now."

Ans:- My friend said that he wanted me to come then.

79. He said, "I will come today."

Ans:- He said that he would come that day

80. She said, "I want to go now."

Ans:- She said that she wanted to go then.

81. She said, "I am going today."

Ans:- She said that she was going that day.

82. My father said, "I have come."

Ans:- My father said that he had come.

83. They said, "We have been working since morning."

Ans:- They said that they had been working since morning.

84. My mother said, "I went to Delhi."

Ans:- My mother said that she had gone to Delhi.

85. They said, "We were coming"

Ans:- They said that they had been coming.

86. He said, "I had done my work."(Past perfect)

Ans:- He said that he had done his work. (No change in past perfect)

87. Kabir said to me, "Do you know my uncle?"

Ans:- Kabir asked me if I knew his uncle.

88. Rafia told me that she was reading a book.

Ans:- Rafia said to me, "I am reading a book."

89. Ayesha said to her father, "I have learnt this lesson."

Ans:- Ayesha told her father that she had learnt that lesson.

90. Anu told Mitali that she had been living in Sonai for ten years.

Ans:- Anu said to Mitali, "I have been living in Sonai for ten years."

91. Rameez asked me what I was doing those days.

Ans:- Rameez said to me, "What are you doing these days?"

92. Atifa said to teacher, "Does the earth moves around the Sun?"

Ans:- Atifa asked teacher if the earth moves around the Sun.

93. Teacher asked the student what he knew about time.

Ans:- Teacher said to the student, "What do you know about time?"

94. Saleh said to me, "Have you visited the Red Fort?" (Present perfect tense)

Ans:- Saleh asked me if I had visited the Red Fort. (Past perfect tense)

95. Hardip told me that Anil was playing cricket then.

Ans:Hardip said to me, "Anil is playing cricket now."

96. He said, "I cannot be with you."

Ans:- He said that he could not be with me.

97. I said, " Leave me alone."

Ans:- I ordered to leave me alone. (The speaker is same, so there is no change in the indirect speech)

98. They said, "We will be informing you tonight."

Ans:- They said that they would be informing us that night.

99. Rani asked if I could pull her up.

Ans:- Rani said, "Can you pull me up?"

100. The foolish tourist asked if I was from India.

Ans:- The foolish tourist said, "Are you from India?"

101. Alexander said to Porus,"How do you desire to be treated? " He answered,  "Like a King. "
A:- Alexander asked Porus how he desired to be treated.  Porus replied that he wanted to be treated like a king. 


Popular posts from this blog

86. Landscape of the Soul(15)(HS1st Yr)

66. The Ailing Planet(31) HS1st Yr

83. My Impressions of Assam(15)(HS1st Yr)